Wednesday 2 June 2010

Ageing gracefully...

I was trawling the skincare aisle in my local supermarket the other say in search of a moisturiser and was appalled to discover that over 90% of the lotions and potions on offer were of the anti-ageing variety. The choice was mind boggling: anti-ageing radiance serums, wrinkle reduction creams, ultimate lift lotions for mature skins, firming day creams to reduce the appearance of fine lines, energising fluids for tired skin, re-plumping night creams, wrinkle de-crease collagen re-plumpers, double lifting dermo pumps, regenrating oils, deep wrinkle fillers, age spot correctors,  brightening balms, pro-contouring systems...and on...and on...

Tucked away in the corner of a bottom shelf I found a few lonely 'bog standard' moisturisers which didn't exhort me to look younger, smoother, plumper and less wrinkled - just more moisturised.

I'm going to be 40 next year and I like my face. It tells a story. The story of a woman who has laughed and cried and spent a little too much time in the sun. My face shows wisdom and strength, vulnerability and experience and a few scars from a life lived fully. I don't want to look younger - why would I? Why would I want to look 10 or 20 years younger than I really am?

When we spend all our time (and money) wishing we looked younger, or thinner or different, we forget to live in the 'now'. We are constantly striving to look like we did (or like we wished we had) or like we hope we will one day. We ignore what we have and lose touch with who we are.

Of course there's nothing wrong with looking after yourself and doing what we can to look and feel more beautiful but what's wrong with looking like a beautiful 39 and a half year old? Is it not allowed? I will still be a 39 and half year old, however much I plump, firm, lift, smooth and de-crease.

Own your body: be beautiful and wrinkly, be beautiful and have laughter lines, be beautiful with age spots, blemishes and uneven skin tone. 

Quite apart from the fact that many scientists are doubtful as to the actual effectiveness of these miracle products. Read more about this here.

Because you're worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.