Friday 28 May 2010

Whatever next: the low fat rice cake

Our good friends over at Miss Red have made a startling discovery - the only difference between Kallo 'low fat' rice cakes and Kallo 'original' rice cakes is 0.1 grams of fat per 100 grams. Oh, and the low fat ones cost 30p more per pack. Read their very funny post: The Riddle of the 'low-fat' rice cakes.

Ludricrous. So ludicrous in fact that we were moved to write the Kallo Customer Service Department a letter asking for an explanation.

Dear Kallo,

I  have a question about one of your new products, LOW FAT Rice Cakes. I am puzzled and would appreciate some information.

Having read the nutritional information on both packs I understand that your normal rice cakes have 3.0g of fat per 100g and your low fat product has 2.9g of fat per 100g.

Both products have the same 29 calories per slice.

I am struggling to see the difference between these two products.

I imagine that in some foods a reduction of  0.1g of fat per 100 grams might make a difference to overall fat consumed, however, I would have to eat many packets of rice cakes, in fact I would have to eat 700 rice cakes (or 70 packs) to reduce my fat intake by 10g! That's less than one tablespoon of oil!

Even if I ate rice cakes day in day out I doubt I would get through 70 packs in a year!

The only significant difference I can see between the two products is that the LOW FAT version costs 30p more per pack.

I would be very grateful if you would take a moment to explain the benefits to my health and/or weight of buying the lower fat product and your motivation for offering it to your customers.

Yours sincerely,
The Chocolate Fairy


If you are shaking your head in disbelief then we urge you to get in touch with Kallo too. Send them an email here: consumerservices@kallofoods.com. Let us know if they respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.