- Weight Watchers is a diet because it has a clear set of rules and guidelines which anyone on the plan has to follow.
- Weight Watchers is a diet because it defines for you the foods that are ‘good’ and ‘bad’.
- Weight Watchers is a diet because 99% (if not 100%) of the focus is on weight loss, not on developing a healthy relationship with food and your body.
- Weight Watchers is a diet because you are either on it and doing it, or off it and not doing it.
- Weight Watchers is a diet because food is translated into points that you have to count and measure.
- Weight Watchers is a diet because it measures success by the number on the scales.
Beyond Chocolate is not a diet. Weight loss is not the primary goal. Our aims are to empower women to know and trust their bodies, to feel relaxed and in control around food. To feel good about the way they eat and the way they look (whatever their size). And there is always a danger that if you have been dieting for many years and you’re new to Beyond Chocolate, you will make this into a diet too.
It’s tempting to turn the principles into rules or guidelines. Either unconsciously, out of habit or because we feel lost without a sense of structure, without someone telling us what to do. Taking responsibility for ourselves can be challenging.
It’s easy to fall into the all or nothing, doing it/not doing it, diet mentality. After so many years of dieting, being our own Gurus does not come easy to many of us.
So, here are some suggestions for avoiding the diet trap:
If you like structure and you know it works for you, create one of your own. There’s nothing wrong with having a plan or a framework if you know that it supports you.
Give yourself a weight loss holiday - how long would you be willing to experiment with Beyond Chocolate without thinking about whether or not you’re losing weight? Put your bathroom scales away, out of sight, just for a while.
Choose one principle at a time to focus on.
Be willing to make mistakes. If you do all the principles properly, all the time, you will learn nothing and nothing will change.
Support yourself along the way with like minded people (the Beyond Chocolate Forum is a great place for that).
Wherever you start be gentle with yourself, cultivate a spirit of curiosity and kindness, take yourself gently by the hand and take action.