Tuesday 26 April 2011

Success story: I have never felt freedom like this before

This lovely email appeared in our inbox last week and we found it so inspiring we wanted to share it with the rest of the Beyond Chocolate community. What does it take for you to feel 'freedom' around food, what does that freedom look like?


Hi,

For all of my life I have been stuck on a diet, if I was on a non-diet day, I would eat for England because I could, then would starve myself for 2 weeks. I stayed thin because of that, but I was either depriving myself because I couldn't eat, then felt guilty when I did eat. I love food, therefore my relationship with food was making me crazy. That's all I ever thought about.

At the end of last year I read your book and would now say that I'm 70% normal, which for me is amazing, if people go out for a meal I will go, and I will choose what I want even if that's chips. If I want a pudding, I'll eat one.

I have a stash of 'my' chocolate that's been in my room since Xmas and I eat a bit of it when I want it. The fact that it's not going to run out, makes me know that I don't need to eat it right then, it will be there tomorrow if I want it, but I usually don't. Its weird.

I have never felt freedom like this before.

My weight is now less than before, I don't go to the gym half as much and I'm loving this feeling.

Although a lot of people still don't think I eat 'normally' (because I don't eat constantly like they do) I eat what I want, when I want. Even something as simple as scrambled eggs on toast. I know it sounds silly, but before I wouldn't eat it because of the fat in it, now I will eat it and enjoy it and, for me, that is a huge hurdle.

I just want to thank you soooo much for this freedom, you have made my life so much more enjoyable.

Anne Kirkham (28 yrs, Stoke-on-Trent)

1 comment:

  1. Anne that is the most fabulous story - thank you for sharing it with us. I too now feel nearly 'normal' around food for probably the first time in my life - I no longer feel the compulsion to eat because it's a meal time or because food is available - and it is the most wonderful freedom! Very best wishes to you as you continue on your Beyond Chocolate journey.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.